Many people are aware that they can get a hair transplant or take medication to treat hair loss, but did you know there are other options?
Craig Molyneux, owner of HD Hairlines Scalp micropigmentation Clinic, joins us for a discussion. He explains everything you need to know about scalp micropigmentation below.
Q: What exactly is scalp micropigmentation (SMP)?
A: It's a cosmetic tattoo procedure that works by implanting pigment into the scalp's upper dermal layer, giving the appearance of new hair growth by replicating individual hair follicles. SMP, once completed, gives the appearance of thicker, fuller-looking hair. It's a procedure that both men and women use.
Q: What are the advantages of SMP?
A: The results are immediate, long-lasting, and require little maintenance. Scalp micropigmentation is a non-surgical and non-invasive procedure. There is no downtime, and the treatment will not harm your existing hair or prevent it from growing back.
People frequently assume they will need to use numbing cream before beginning the needlework, but this is not the case for this cosmetic tattoo treatment. Most people find the procedure to be painless, and the treatment is completely safe thanks to advanced innovations in the SMP Industry.
For a flawless finish, the pigmentation mimics the natural pattern of your hair growth.
In contrast to traditional tattoo ink, scalp micropigmentation employs specially designed ink made from organic ingredients with no blue or green hues. This means that the pigment will not fade.
Q: Who can benefit from scalp micropigmentation?
A: Anyone who is at least 18 years old. Hair loss can affect either gender, and there are numerous causes. It could be a genetic condition, a result of hormonal changes (such as menopause), a side effect of medical treatment, or an ageing symptom.
SMP can help with a variety of hair loss issues, including:
- Male pattern baldness or female pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia).
- Hair thinning.
- Other types of alopecia, such as alopecia areata.
- Scar camouflage after hair transplant surgery or scars from an injury.
Q: Can SMP be used on any hairstyle, length, or colour?
A: Scalp micropigmentation can be used on hairstyles that are long, short, or buzz cut. We can dilute the ink to match the colour of your hair, including blond and grey shades. There are several treatment options available, allowing you to select the best one for you:
- Hairline Restoration is recommended for people who have a receding hairline or male pattern baldness. It can treat hair loss at any stage, from minor recession to complete baldness. The treatment will resemblance a short buzz cut and reframe your face with a customised hairline. Anyone considering hairline restoration must be committed to keeping their hair at a grade 1 or lower.
- Hair density - this is ideal for women and those with thinning long hair. Tiny dots of pigment will give the appearance of new hair growth, covering exposed scalp and adding density for a fuller-looking head of hair.
- Scar and alopecia camouflage - an ideal solution for those who have hair transplant scars, injury scars, or bald spots. This treatment is intended to seamlessly blend and conceal scars and bald patches with the surrounding hair.
Q: How long does the SMP treatment process take?
A: This will be determined by the extent of your hair loss. The majority of people require three to four sessions. Multiple, spaced-out sessions are the best method for safe application and the most natural-looking results. Sessions can last up to five hours, but you are free to take as many breaks as you need to make sure you are comfortable at all times.
Q: What is the best hair loss treatment for me?
A: You can schedule a free consultation via video call or in person before beginning treatment. We can assess the extent of your hair loss, provide advice, and recommend a treatment plan tailored to your specific needs. Hair loss can have a huge impact on how we feel every day, which is why HD Hairlines is dedicated to raising awareness of the help that is available and assisting people in finding the right solution for them.
HD Hairlines scalp micro pigmentation services are available throughout the North West with more clinics opening near you soon.